Dalida Kozlic L.L.B, lawyer and activist writes:
Mass demonstrations against massacres of stray dogs in Bosnia will be held in front of the Parliamentary Assembly in Sarajevo on November 11th.
Animal rights activists, volunteers and citizens have organised this demonstration in order to show the authorities that stray dogs are not alone and that there are people who fight for their rights.
Official demands are:
The Protection and Welfare of Animals of Bosnia Herzegovina laws were ratified eight years ago. Since then the authorities of Bosnia Herzegovina have allowed many politically eligible people and companies to own public shelters for stray animals that haven’t been built, registered nor established in accordance with the laws on establishing and conditions that shelters for stray animals must fulfil in Bosnia Herzegovina.
Dogs in those illegal public shelters are not identified or registered and they are killed illegally in notorious ways. Corpses of dead dogs are removed and destroyed in unknown ways in hidden locations.
The latest and the most infamous example is the shelter for stray dogs in Praca which the Government of Canton Sarajevo rented without the legal procedures from a private person and his building company.
There is no system of control for captured dogs nor for the transport of dogs to the shelter or for controlling their numbers in the shelter.
Dogs in Praca live in filthy concrete kennels without food and water, standing and sleeping in their own faeces.
1.000.000 KM (500.000 Euros) is transferred from the budget of Canton Sarajevo for this horror annually.
We demand implementation of the Act on Protection and Welfare of Animals by those who have enacted the law and who are obliged to implement the law.
Our demands are:
- Urgent terminating of illegal killing of stray animals in public shelters in Bosnia Herzegovina. The Veterinary Office, Veterinary inspections, Police forces and Prosecutor’s offices must agree to put a stop to what is happening.
- Urgent control and closing of all public shelters that do not fulfil the conditions that are provided for by the law and bylaws.
- Urgent presence of veterinarians in all shelters. This must be ordered and controlled by the Veterinary Office and Veterinary inspections.
- Urgent suspension of the sale of Praca shelter to the Government of Canton Sarajevo from Murai Commerce Company, as well as termination of the contract between the authorities of Canton Sarajevo and Murai Commerce due to the failure of implementation of the law and the contract.
- Transparent and legal financing of projects to solve the problem of overpopulation of stray dogs.
- Urgent and general termination of all illegal and inhumane catching of stray dogs as well as their killing and placing in unknown locations. Again, this must be fulfilled by the Veterinary Office and Veterinary inspections.
- Implementation of legal provisions to allow all citizens and volunteers to visit and monitor all shelters for stray animals.
- Urgent action of veterinary inspections in order to control the registration of pets as well as dog breeders.
- Urgent penalties for of all people who abandon their pets.
Dear members of the legislative and executive authorities, these are your rules and you are obliged to start their immediate implementation!
HOW TO HELP:
Please support the protest on 11.11. Organise a protest in your own country/town.
Please support the many rescuers and activists. They need everything from moral support to financial help to keep the rescued animals safe or transported out of the country. Some of the rescuers’ FB pages are below:
Horror Behind Closed Doors of Dog Shelter
Dog Catchers Continue their Killing Spree for Personal Revenge
Hunters – the most notorious killers of stray animals in Bosnia Herzegovina
Unimaginable cases of torture and killing of stray animals in Bosnia
Mass poisoning of stray dogs in Zenica, Bosnia
Poisoning of dogs ordered in Donji Vakuf, Bosnia
Monstrous Killing and Injuring of Stray Dogs in Zenica, Bosnia!
Dogs found slaughtered outside Shelter in Sarajevo
Puppy Flung off Bridge in Sarajevo, Bosnia
Puppy dies after horrific attack in Bosnia Herzegovina
Loved Street Dog Hanged in Gradiska, Bosnia!
Boy steals puppy and hangs it – Prnjavor, Bosnia Herzegovina
Dog’s Skull Deliberately Crushed in Bosnia Herzegovina
Another Dog Tortured by Wire in Bosnia
DOG TORTURED WITH WIRE IN BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA!
Puppy burned alive in Bosnia Herzegovina!
Dog Beheaded in Bosnia
Sarajevo Demonstrations Against Illegal Dog Catchers
LONDON PROTEST AGAINST SLAUGHTER OF DOGS IN BOSNIA HERZEGOVINA AND ROMANIA
PROTEST TO END THE BRUTAL KILLING OF DOGS IN ROMANIA & BOSNIA HERZEGOVINA
ANTI KILL-LAW FIGHT – “IT’S NOT OVER” PROTEST MARCH
Funds are needed not only to help individual rescues and to help us keep safe the rescued dogs we are sponsoring but also to continue our advocacy work in Bosnia, uncovering the truth about what is happening there.
On our sister site, Animal Welfare Advocates for Bosnia, you can set up a monthly donation via PayPal, or if you want to make a one-off donation, please go to your PayPal account (or set one up, it’s very easy) and send the money to: firstname.lastname@example.org as a ‘gift’. Click on the image below to be taken to PayPal’s home page.
Or if you want to use the customised PayPal form, click the link below. However, a transaction fee and a percentage (2- 5.4%) will be deducted by PayPal for any contribution made.
If you want your contribution to go to a specific dog or cause, please make a note in the PayPal comment box. If you wish to contribute via bank transfer or have other difficulties or questions, please go here.
This site is dedicated to Vučko. Read his story and don’t let him have suffered and died in vain. Please help the stray dogs and cats in Bosnia-Herzegovina. The situation there is utterly dire, Vučko is but one amongst many horrifically abused animals. Go here to find out how to help them. Money is needed for food, medicine and foster housing. Even just one dollar or one euro will help.